Sending enthusiastic, professional organizers into neighborhoods makes it easy for busy people to protect their own health, rights and interests by preventing abuses of government and corporate power.
We use a strength-in-numbers strategy, focusing the political and consumer power of Ohio families on the problems they care about. We boil down complex issues into everyday language, put them into context, answer people’s questions and motivate people to help.
In addition to the field canvassers, phone canvassers follow up on our door visits, spending more time with people and giving them new opportunities to make a difference. We also update our website daily, providing information, resources and opportunities for digital activism. More about field and phone canvassing.
In the past decade alone, we’ve won 75% of the campaigns we’ve undertaken, including:
- Pollution prevention “good neighbor” campaigns with the Eramet manganese refinery in Marietta and Columbus-based Heartland Petroleum;
- Shutting down 22 of Ohio’s oldest, most polluting coal boilers;
- Preventing new pollution from proposed (but never built) projects like a 1,000 MW coal plant in Meigs County, a garbage incinerator in Cleveland and a coal-to-liquid fuel plant in Wellsvile;
- Aggregating Cincinnati residents into an electricity buying group and securing 100% clean, renewable energy to meet their needs; and
- Defeating a bill that would have repealed Ohio’s energy efficiency and renewable energy standards.
Simply put, we win our campaigns because people care enough to get involved and the personal, immediate nature of field and phone canvassing makes it easy for them. Working together, we amplify individual actions to have greater impact on decision makers.
Year in review
Ohio Citizen Action Board of Directors
Ohio Citizen Action Senior Staff
Executive Director, Rachael Belz (513) 221-2100
Financial Director, Lynn Scheerhorn (216) 861-5200
Regional Canvass Director, Don Wolcott (336) 288-5485
Regional Field Canvass Director, Curt Moultine (517) 281-4716
Phone Canvass Director, Stephen Gabor (216) 861-5200
Cincinnati Field Canvass Director, Hali Greene (513) 221-2100
Cleveland Field Canvass Director, Jessica Smith-Szabo (216) 861-5200
Development Director, Melissa English (513) 221-2100
Digital Communications Director, Angela Oster (216) 861-5200
Database Manager, Chris Young (216) 861-5200
Membership Development Coordinator, Mark Biszantz (216) 861-5200
Cincinnati Office Manager, Danilo Fusaro (513) 221-2108
Cleveland Office Manager, Deidre Parker (216) 623-3956
Ohio Citizen Action Education Fund Board of Directors
The Ohio Citizen Action Education Fund is a member of
Greater Cleveland Community Shares