COLUMBUS — We did it! The pro-clean energy majority in Ohio won the day today when Governor Kasich vetoed HB554.
It’s the best present imaginable! It’s also an affirmation that if the people lead, the leaders will follow. I’m so grateful to the tens of thousands Ohio Citizen Action members and allies who:
- signed petitions – 34,018 members signed our “End the Freeze” support statement in person at their door
- made phone calls – 930 Ohio Citizen Action members called their state legislators, urging them to vote NO on HB 554 / SB 320. 991 members left voice messages with Governor Kasich’s office asking him to end the freeze on clean energy standards in Ohio.
- sent photo postcards
- rallied at the statehouse
- testified in the legislature
- promoted the cause on social media
- wrote personal letters and letters-to-the-editor. 8,227 of our members sent handwritten letters to Governor John Kasich.
…and moved our lawmakers and governor to do the right thing. We want to offer special thanks to the lawmakers who voted against extending the freeze, especially Republicans in the Ohio House and Senate who took a stand for clean energy jobs, cleaner air and water and a more efficient economy despite pressure from party leaders.
With the original standards back in place we have a great foundation for making Ohio a clean energy leader once more.
I’m so excited to be working with you in 2017 to take this victory even further!
— Rachael Belz, Executive Director, Ohio Citizen Action